10.24.2011

Bonus Challenge #2—Book of Mormon Heroes


Pin It!
I realized today that I have two more scripture/Book of Mormon challenges and only one more week left of October to do them, so I’m throwing out a bonus challenge today!

Who are your favorite people/heroes in the Book of Mormon?  Why?


Captain-Moroni-Book-of-Mormon-Posters

Captain Moroni is one of my very favorites.  Here was a man who prepared the minds of the people to be faithful to God, he strengthened the armies by building forts, he built up the weakest places, he fortified the land possessed by the Nephites to guard against the enemy, he supported the liberties, peace and freedoms so they could worship God.  Not only was he a great leader, but he was a great man.  He was strong, mighty, had a perfect understanding, he didn’t delight in bloodshed, he loved freedom, he was grateful, he was a hard worker for his family and country’s sake, he kept the commandments, and he resisted iniquity.  (Alma 48:7-16)

“If all men had been, and were, and ever would be, like unto Moroni, behold, the very powers of hell would have been shaken forever; yea, the devil would never have power over the hearts of the children of men.”  (Alma 48:17)

Also, one of my unsung heroes is Pahoran.   We don’t talk about him a lot, but what I’ve always loved is his response to Captain Moroni’s letter to him.  (Moroni had written a rather harsh letter, letting him know that he wasn’t doing his job as the government leader.  It wasn’t Pahoran’s fault, as he’d had rebellions going on to take care of, and didn’t have any fresh men to send to Moroni.)  His response is amazing:  “And now, in your epistle you have censured me, but it mattereth not; I am not angry, but do rejoice in the greatness of your heart.  I…do not seek for power, save only…that I may preserve the rights and liberty of my people.”  (Alma 61:9)  What a humble guy.  How easily he could’ve gotten offended and turned away from the light.  

I love how I can read about people in the scriptures, who probably thought of themselves as normal, and learn from their stories to strengthen my own life and testimony.  What good examples and heroes there are in the scriptures!
Now, I challenge you to record who your favorite scripture heroes are!  

More awesome hero posters here!


Pin It!