6.13.2012

Challenge #28 - We Listen to a Prophets Voice


Pin It!
A few months ago we had the opportunity to sit at the Apostles feet and learn from them, during General Conference.  The topic for this week is - What talk stood out most to you, and why?  How did
you apply its teachings in your life?

Emily writes:

This week has been crazy, so I went for simple and easy--I just typed it up!  I really loved President Uchtdorf's talk, "The Merciful Obtain Mercy" during this last conference.  I felt like he was speaking to me--it's just what I needed to hear!  But I decided to focus on a Conference talk from a long time ago that has had a large impact on my life since I heard it...and this is probably the most personal story that I've ever written on here.  (Please don't stop reading this blog after you find out what a horrible person I am!)  ;)

I love General Conference!  I remember while I was in High School, one of my Seminary teachers told us before one conference, that we should pray before-hand so that we would be receptive to the talks that we needed to hear.  He also suggested that we come up with a few questions about what was going on in our lives at the time, and testified that they would be answered though conference.  I did (and still do) both of those things before every General Conference, and without fail, it has always worked!

A few years later, when I was in college I once again wrote a few questions I had and listened intently to the beautiful messages being delivered.  One talk in particular stood out to me. 

I had grown up in a home where my mom was always very quick to unleash her anger on us...and as a result, I often did the same thing to my siblings, room mates and friends.  One night, a guy that I really liked, told me he didn't like how I did that.  It hit me in the gut.  (Literally, not physically!)  So, I pondered on that, and wrote down one of my questions for conference coming up, something along the lines of "How can I control my anger better?" 

Well, as my Seminary teacher had promised, I heard a talk that I think was written just for me.  Elder Lynn G. Robbins gave the talk, "Agency and Anger", and I have never forgotten it.  Elder Robbins showed me that I do have a choice whether to be angry or not.  I don't have to let my emotions control me, and let Satan win. 

I reread that talk about once a year, just to remind myself that I am in control--and that I can choose to be angry about things that I can't control, or I can be patient like the Savior.  Some days it takes a lot to remind me, especially when my kids do something that totally irritates me.  I really do want to yell at them or even sometimes worse things, but I've learned to take a deep breath, count to 10, or even leave the room if that's what it takes to control my anger. 

(And now you all know one of my deepest, darkest secrets...)  ;)

---------------

My thoughts:

Photo from Pinterest
A talk that stood out to me, and one that I need to remember often is Elder Cook's talk from October 2012, "It Is Better To Look Up."  This talk really applies to what my husband and I have been going through for the past several months.  We are currently in the process of buying our first home (we FINALLY close escrow tomorrow!!!)  We've been so stressed out about it.  Simple things that shouldn't take that long to do, have dragged out into days and weeks.  It has been a nightmare.  Our agent has told us over and over again, "have faith, things will work out."  It is hard for me to see things come together, when it appears that everything is pointing in the opposite direction.  Thus, I've spent a lot of time being upset about things, instead of looking up and having faith that everything will be okay.

I love this thought by Elder Cook, "We are Heavenly Father’s children. He wants to be a part of our lives, to bless us, and to help us. He will heal our wounds, dry our tears, and help us along our path to return to His presence. As we look to Him, He will lead us."

It is better to look up!  I need to remember that [looking up is] "a simple act [that] can solve our problems."  Things may not always go the way I want them to.  Looking up and trusting in the Lord will always strengthen me and help me return to the Savior. 

(And now you all know that I am not perfect) :)

Pin It!