11.28.2012

(Re)Challenge #20—Miracles Never Cease


Pin It!

So when I gave my team members the topic for today’s challenge, I didn’t realize that I’d already given it, but it’s a great one for this time of year, so we’re going to do it again!  (The original challenge can be found here.)

What are some miracles that have happened in your life?

On the original challenge I wrote: You can list or write about a few of them—big or small.  (Sometimes it’s a miracle for that I didn’t kill a certain child, ha ha!)  You can focus on the details of one miracle that you’ll never forget and want to record.  You can start a miracle journal, where you write the little miracles that happen everyday.  The possibilities are endless!

Here are some ideas for you to record this challenge!

------------------
What Robin did:

Here I am doing my SECOND challenge and I am still so excited to be here. Now, for those of you who read my last post/confession, I am truly sorry for the heaviness I brought about in that post. I didn’t mean to seem like such a “Debbie downer” or turn the post into something negative, it was never my intention and I am sorry to those of you who may have taken it that way.

Anyhow, on to this week’s challenge, which is: “What was a miracle that has happened in your life?”

This question here is a particularly loaded one for me, as I have witnessed many MANY miracles in my life, and while I have narrowed it down to just one miracle for this particular post, I still feel the need to mention how thankful I am for a couple of other miracles in my life. I nearly lost my brother in a snowboarding accident, where he punctured a lung, broke ribs, lacerated his spleen and ripped up his kidneys, and still lives to this day to tell the tale. I love him and am so grateful he is still in my life to this day.

I nearly lost my daughter Allyson when she was 3 years old. She climbed the dresser in her bedroom, which had a TV on top of it, and it all came crashing down. She fractured her skull in 6 places, and was life-flighted to Primary Children’s Medical Center in SLC, Utah, where she was treated for a severe concussion and nothing more. She had a bleed in her brain that the doctors were worried about which is why she was life-flighted in the first place. I am so very thankful to my Heavenly Father for sparing her life, for allowing me to continue to take care of her on this earth in this life.

However, the biggest miracle of my life came about when I was about 10 years old. We were out at the lake jet skiing with my family and another family. It was getting late and dark and we were packing up to leave. My brother was still out on his jet ski, so my mom jumped on hers and headed out on the lake to find him. Just a few minutes later, my brother came riding up to the dock on his jet ski in a complete panic, just sobbing uncontrollably. We were finally able to figure out that my mom had been hit by another jet ski while on her own jet ski. The other rider had apparently (not purposely) used the front end of my mom’s jet ski as a ramp and hit her head full on with his own jet ski.

Thankfully my mom had her life jacket on, and I am even more thankful to the 3 teenage boys who were in a boat nearby that pulled my mom out of the water, saving her life, and bringing her to us. I remember that I could hear her cries of pain from the boat way before she even reached the dock. (Wow, I am crying even as I write this, every time I think up this memory, it still bring tears to my eyes, aches my heart, but always makes my heart swell with love and gratitude to my Heavenly Father for sparing my mother’s life.)

My father and the father of the family I came with carried my mom to our car. I remember being in a complete panic. I remember seeing my mom holding MY t-shirt that I had worn to the lake, up to her bloody face to help soak up blood and stop the bleeding. I can still hear her screams; I can still hear her crying. I can still see the police lights out the back window of our car that my dad ignored until the cop realized we were rushing to the hospital and raced ahead of us to clear an easy path to the emergency room.

I remember those first 2 weeks at home after my mom was released from the hospital. Her jaw had been busted and nearly every tooth had been knocked out. She had to have teeth implants and her jaw was wired shut for 6 weeks. I remember her having to drink meals from a straw; I remember my dad spoon feeding her soup. I remember lying next to her while she laid in bed, I remember holding her and hugging her.

I am so VERY VERY VERY thankful that my Heavenly Father spared her life, He must have known that I would need my mother. That she would be one of my best friends in this whole world. I would not be the mother I am today without her. I am so thankful for Heavenly Father’s hand in her life, and in mine.

------------------
What I did:

Since I had written about a big miracle that happened to me awhile ago, but never scrapbooked it, I wanted to take the opportunity to get it done!  I’d completely forgotten about the miracle journal idea until I was re-reading the challenge from the original time.  It’s often so easy to forget or overlook those little miracles that happen everyday, and I want to remember them, so I’ve decided to add writing about everyday miracles in my journal at night (which I faithfully do already, so not a big change, just a change of thinking about what I write!).

Here’s a look at my scrapbooked page with the story I wrote about the first time I issued this challenge.

miracle

Supplies: Template, Scrapping With Liz.  Papers, Crystal Wilkerson.  Fonts, Scriptina, Sketch Rockwell, Century Gothic.

-----------------------
Now I challenge you to record about some of the miracles in your life!

 

And….

Don’t forget about the very special December we’re going to have here on the TIMC—LDS. 

christ centered christmas copy

Anyone can send me a finished challenge of any kind, sharing how you and your family keep Christ as the focus of your Christmas!  This will be a great opportunity to help others start some new traditions in their homes!  (See details here.) 


Pin It!