What is your favorite hymn and why?
You can record just one favorite and really expound on it, make a top 5 or 10 list, record yourself playing it on the piano, blog or Facebook it, or heck if you’re musically talented, write a new arrangement of it! (And if you decide to do that, please share it with us!) On a graver note, this would give your relatives a good list of songs that you love, to use at your funeral…
As I was searching for a quote, I remembered that the Children’s Songbook has a letter from the First Presidency, so I looked in the Hymn book, and what do you know, there’s one there too! I encourage you to read through it and find your favorite snippet to include in your challenge!
I made a “Top 10 List” and short explanations of why in just a Word document. I have a folder devoted just to the challenges, and this one will be a separate document. Short and sweet. Easy peasy. And since I can just copy and paste, I’ll share this one with you!
My Top 10 Favorite Church Hymn’s List
“Hymns can lift our spirits, give us courage, and move us to righteous action. They can fill our souls with heavenly thoughts and bring us a spirit of peace.”
-First Presidency message in the LDS Hymnbook
This is a simple list of my favorite hymns. I don’t think I could ever put them in order, and truthfully, I probably have 20 favorite hymns, but listing the whole hymn book would kind of negate the whole reason of my writing this…
1. I Believe in Christ—because the words pretty much explain my testimony of Christ.
2. I Know that My Redeemer Lives—because it pretty much IS the Gospel!
3. How Firm a Foundation—a reminder to me that if we build on the Gospel foundation, we can’t fail or fall!
4. Joseph Smith’s First Prayer—this was the beginning of the Gospel in this last dispensation, and a reminder to me that faith can bring unexpected miracles.
5. The Spirit of God—I always feel the Spirit speaking to me on this one. Another testament that this IS the true Church in the Latter-Days!
6. Nearer, My God, to Thee—a classic that reminds me to draw closer to God in my trials.
7. I Need Thee Every Hour—because, truly I do need Him every waking minute of my day. I would seriously suck at life without Him.
8. How Great Thou Art—because compared to God and Jesus Christ, I am truly nothing.
9. Where Can I Turn For Peace?—a favorite when I am going through a difficult time.
10. Be Thou Humble—a good reminder to me when I feel pride starting to creep in. Because, truly I am nothing without Him (see #7).
(Listed on Sept. 7, 2011)
Now take a few minutes and record your favorite Hymn(s)!
P.S. I took the picture of the Hymn book, and you are more than welcome to right click and copy it to use for your challenge if you’d like to! (Please don’t claim it as your own or sell it.)